Today is that special day again – International Nail Artist Feature! I’m so thrilled that Sonia aka badgirlnails (on Instagram), from the United States was able to join us to share her secrets on how she achieves an incredible glitter nail art look. She’s created an easy to follow 12-step tutorial for a studded glitter look (you know how I love my studs!).
Sonia is extremely fashion conscientious and is always at the forfront of current nail art trends (Louboutin nails anyone?) . Her nail art has been featured many times over on some of the top fashion accounts and I was so pleased when Sonia agreed to share some of her secrets in creating some fabulous and trendy nails. Over to you!
My name is Sonia, best known as badgirlnails. It’s no secret that I love glitter: it’s sparkly, eye-catching, and instantly makes everything better. However, for many nail art aficionados, loose glitter also has a bad reputation. It’s notorious for being messy, and a hassle to work with. I myself have had more than a few frustrating encounters with loose glitter, many of which ended in thick, gloppy manicures and sparkles EVERYWHERE. Not pretty.
From trial and error, I’ve learned some tips and tricks that put the fun back in glittering up your nails. I’ve created a fun, girly look especially for Nail That Accent’s blog (and you, her lovely readers!) that anyone can achieve. But first, some loose glitter basics:
- Pastel or neon glitter looks best over a coat of clear or similarly colored polish.
- When working with loose glitter, remember go one nail at a time.
- Do your manicure over a sheet of paper- that makes for easy clean up, and allows you to reuse excess glitter! Simply fold your paper in half, and pour the extra glitter back into its container.
- It’s tempting to glob on polish so your glitter has something to stick to. Fight the urge! Using too much polish as a base only makes your mani thick and gloppy looking. A single, even layer of polish works just fine. Just try to work as quickly as possible, and immediately sprinkle the glitter over your base.
- You know that fan brush that comes in every manicure brush set? It actually has a purpose! Fan brushes are perfect for gently pushing glitter into your polish, helping it stick. After a few seconds of dry time, you can use the fan brush to gently brush away excess glitter from your nail and around the cuticle.
- I recommend having a separate bottle of topcoat for glitter. I personally use a super cheap Sally Hansen topcoat that, specifically to seal loose glitter manis. That way, I don’t contaminate my Seche Vite with glitter.
Now that those pointers are out of the way, onto the tutorial! This look combines fun glitter tips with a nude matte base. It makes for a very fresh and interesting contrast, which I love. Add studs, and it’s perfection!
2. Once your base is completely dry, take a piece of tape and tap it on the back of your hand once to make it a little less sticky (just so it doesn’t peel off your base). apply it diagonally on your nail.
4. Quickly sprinkle on your glitter. I used a glitter injection by Snookisofficialtwin (available on her website). However, any fine craft glitter works!5. Tap the glitter down with your fan brush, and allow a minute of drying time. Gently brush away the excess with a fan brush, and voila!
6. Onto the next nail! Repeat the same process.
Here is the finished mani! Girly, classy, and with limitless color possibilities!I hope this tutorial inspires you guys to break out your glitter and have fun! Thank you so much, Lindsay, for allowing me to share this!
Sonia, these nails are incredible! Party central!!! Thank you so much for creating such a useful tutorial, I can’t wait to try. I have to admit, loose glitter scares me, but you’ve given me the confidence to try.
You can find Sonia on Instagram.
Until next time,